09 July, 2015

Their birth story.

Over the past few weeks TF and I have sat and chatted about the day our babies were born so many times...and each time, one of us remembers something new. So before we both head into the deepest depths of the parenting haze...I thought I would document the day we became parents. For us. For Jackson and Harper one day.

So lets start a few days, or if not weeks earlier.

Over the last four weeks, I had started experiencing serious pain. Not contractions, or baby pain - as I called it. I was just sore. My hips and pelvic bones were in agony. I had even gone off a week earlier than I wanted to at work...I literally ached with pain every step I took. And the pain had kicked up a notch during my 33rd week {my second week into my maternity leave}. I hadn't had a full nights sleep for many months, but the nights now were becoming dreadful.

The reason for my pain. My big babies. At our last check up our girl was weighing in at 2,7kgs, and our boy 2,5kgs. Way bigger than singleton babies. Our Dr. was amazed...he kept on telling me that we were going to break records for twins. He always said that these babies would tell us when they are ready to come.

As much pain as I was in. I knew the longer these babies stayed put, the better. And from our recent checkups, they were going no where.

That brings us to the night of the 30 May. It was a Saturday night...and even though I had been up most nights, this was different. I had no sleep at all. My bed was just not comfortable. So I had moved to the couch. And by six o'clock that morning, I had had three hot baths to try and ease the pain. I had decided at two o'clock already that, in the morning, I was going to head to the labour ward at our hospital and ask them to do a check up.

And that's what we did. The minute TF woke up, saw me...he literally packed me in the car {hospital bag included} and we  headed to the hospital.

Over our pregnancy...we have had a few small scares, and each time, it had turned out to be nothing. The hospital would send us home. So, as sore as I was, I really did think we would be heading home.

Nope, after been checked by the Dr on duty, she decided to check me in. The babies were fine, but had started to move.

And that's were we spent the next few nights. Being monitored constantly, and given steroids just in case.
Early Wednesday morning, 3 June...the first cold front of Winter had arrived and it was still pitch dark and rainy when my water broke.
I quickly notified the nurse, who gave me a test which would determine if it was in fact my water breaking. I phoned TF who was already on his way to work. He came though to the hospital right away.
He had hardly arrived when the test showed that my water had broken. Within an hour my amazing Doctor was standing at the foot of my bed.

For some reason, I remember this moment like it happened yesterday. The rooms were dark, so all the lights were on. He was standing with his jacket and his briefcase still in his hand...and he said to us, that just as he had always thought, these babies were on their way. And he was scheduling the c-section for midday.

From there on, it was a mixture of pure excitement and nervousness. In one way I was so ready for these babies to come...but in another, I was so not. We were exactly 34 weeks, and 6 days. I had so much still to do...and to be honest, I was not ready to let the bump go. As hard as it was, I loved every single second of being pregnant. But it was time...

Here are a few photos {taken with our phones} taken over the next few hours...our babies arrival into the world.
Our babies arrived safely and screaming from the very first second...and quickly whisked off to the NICU. Something, we had thankfully, prepared ourselves for...and the very reason, I had chosen my Dr and the hospital we were in. So even though I had only seen them for a few seconds, I was happy knowing that they were being taken such good care of....and that's all that mattered.
My husband immediately turned into Super Dad. He stayed with our babies until they were checked in at the NICU, got my stuff transferred from the labour ward to the maternity ward, spent his time running between me and the babies...returning each time with new pics for me to see.

While it was a such a whirlwind day, there are small moments, that are so clear to me and some that I am glad just happened:
Feeling my water break...and my contractions as we lay waiting to go into theatre. Something I never ever expected.
My parents seeing their new grandbabies as they left the theatre.
Watching my husband take full control once those babies arrived. He was like a kid in a candy store.
My Doctor standing at the end of my bed that morning. The man that was about to deliver my babies.
The anesthetist, who was so kind and patient. He even grabbed our camera and took pics for us.

And seeing those sweet little faces for the very first time...I would only get to see them again the next day.
What an extraordinary day...a day I had played out over and over in my head. In some ways it was exactly as I had expected, and in other ways not. It was surreal and amazing.

The day we finally became parents...



Bo said...

Haylz, this is so awesome! And it's a story you can tell over and over again to them when they grow up. So cool! So the night before, Tues 2nd June, I had Whatsapped Francois & asked if you would be up to seeing visitors. I still said to him, just a quick visit! I was gonna surprise you with tea in take-out cups like we have at Daily Buzz. He said, yes she'd love to see you & said the hospital visiting hours weren't stoo strict. Great. I would pop in on the way home. The next morning, Wed 3rd June, the whatsapp read: Caesar today... OMG, OMG, OMG! (That was me, not him!) The rest is history!

Bailey Schneider said...

I have tears in my eyes. It's so beautiful and exciting and wonderful! I couldn't be happier for you both and even though I don't know you... it's so weird, I just feel like I do and I'm just bursting with happiness for you!
It's not hard to tell that you two are amazing people ... Harper and Jackson are lucky to have you guys as parents.
Side note...
In your previous post, Francois is holding a sign saying: Arriving Winter 2015.
How ironic that your babies arrived in the first cold front - true Winter!

Wenchy said...

I am a great fan of yours and Fran├žois and so very happy that you have been blessed so abundantly. Sleepless nights could not have happened to two nicer people. xxx

cat said...

Oh Hayley and Francois - I am so very very happy for you! Welcome to the twin ranks. We twin parents stick together. I also had the body pain - mine were also big - born at 37 weeks 1 day at 2,92 kg and 3,02 kg. just pain from shear weight you carry.

Lea White said...

Wow, congrats! So so so happy for you!

Mrs FF said...

Such a beautiful story!!! And feels like they were born yesterday. I'm sure it probably feels longer to you. And yes you do forget little bits and pieces as time goes by. Did Francois cut the cords!!! That was the part my hubby was worried about after he finally realized there was no getting out of being in the room. wrote down my birth story and never posted it but I have it to remind me when ever I need a reminder and to share with K in future'n

Anonymous said...

The day your babies are born will forever be etched into your memory banks.

What a lovely birth story for H and J to have told to them through the years.


Heather said...